Subject: Re: DEC hardware question
To: Chris Rupnik <>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/18/2002 20:01:33

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Chris Rupnik wrote:

> I'll second Jason's email. I have a 3com 3c905TX working beautifully in my
> lowly axppci33. It is must faster than the realtek based (DFE-538TX) that
> was in there before.

Well, there are network-cards, and there are realtek (and ne2000 and
clones, for that matter) cards. is worth reading, I especially
like the "The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.'"
sentence :)

Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
you to change clothes.  Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
spring up in the middle of the machine room.