Subject: Question regarding DIGITAL Server 3000 Model 3300 6400A
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Kyle S. Allender <kallender@completecomputing.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/15/2002 16:28:23
Hello.  I sent this to a(n apparently former) contact with Compaq and it was
bounced back.  Can someone on this list point me in the right direction for
instructions on how to obtain the necessary SRM firmware for this system so
that I can install any of these:  FreeBSD, NetBSD or any *nix?

Thank you in advance for any assistance...

We have a client that has several Digital Server 3000 Model 3300s and is in
need of some ideas for a network change.  I realise these systems are fairly
old, but wanted to know if it would be possible for these systems to run
Tru64.

At this time, these systems have the ARC console firmware installed.  I
would like to move them to the SRM console so that they could run either
Tru64, FreeBSD or RedHat Linux (though Tru64 would be preferred).

The information displayed under Systemboard Configuration is as follows:

System Type:  DIGITAL Server 3000 Model 3300  6400A

Processor:  Digital Alpha 21164, Revision 7.2
Speed:  400Mhz
Cache:  2Mb
Memory: 256Mb

Floppy Drive A: 3.5" 1.44Mb
Floppy Drive B: None
Keyboard:   U.S. 101-key keyboard

AlphaBIOS Version:  5.64  971212.1414

I am hoping that you can tell me that this system can be upgraded to the
last avail. BIOS for this system, which according to the website is v5.8.
However, there is a note in the documenation for that BIOS update indicating
that this particular system may only support Windows NT.

Thank you for your attention to this inquiry.

Yours,

Kyle Allender

--

Kyle Allender                           kylea@netins.net