Subject: Re: Install Boot 6.0Beta2
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/10/2002 19:58:23
On 2002.07.10 16:14 David Woyciesjes wrote:

> I'm getting ready to load NetBSD on my DEC 3000/400, to replace
> Digital Unix 3.2
Add, not replace.

> (for obvious reasons like ssh and other current tech).
Is it not possible to compile ssh on OSF/1 3.2?

> I figure it's probably a good idea to keep D/UX around, and run NetBSD
> off of a second drive.
This is a Good Idea. You should save old hardware _and_ old software.

> 	Now, to install NetBSD, can I run the installer from within
> D/UX, or do I have to boot into NetBSD with cdhdtape?
I doubt that OSF/1 can write a NetBSD compatible FFS.
Simply dd cdhdtape to the raw NetBSD target disk and boot from it. The
image runs from a MFS, so you can install via FTP, NFS, ... on the disk
that you booted from. This is exactly the way I got NetBSD on my PC164.
(Yes it runns. I finally got a oscillator from a network card and a
modified Athlon heat sink...)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen