Subject: RE: DEC 3000 Model M300L
To: '' <>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/02/2002 11:44:59

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Collin Baillie wrote:

> You need to hook up a serial console. By default the NetBSD 1.5.x kernels
> don't have support for TurboChannel console. Serial is your only option.

What about
Are those "normal" kernels so they can't be used for installation?
seems to have install-kernels with tcwscons-support?

Sebastian, I suggest that you go straight to NetBSD 1.6_BETA2.  All older
versions come with ancient compilers (egcs from '91) that are no fun at
all.  Sure, you can try to update later but I had much trouble on my
3000/300 with 1.5.2 and recently reinstalled with 1.6_BETA2 and things are
much better (except that the necessary security updates take hours to
compile, but that's not all NetBSD's fault :))

"To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System"