Subject: Re: location of dmesg.boot
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/2002 11:36:27
[ On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at 16:24:18 (+0700), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: generic HBA error messages on 1.6beta2
>
>   From:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
>   | > you can still find them in /var/run/dmesg.boot
>   | Ah, thanks!  I already had some notion of such a file in my mind
>   | but was looking for it in /var/log
>
> /var/log is where it should be, /var/run is insane for this file.  But...

I agree too, but this was one change I didn't want to maintain in the
systems I build so I made a compromise and configured my syslogd to also
write that information to a file in /var/log:

	kern.*	/var/log/kern

In a long running real-world system that file does occasionally get
rolled over, even with a 2MB size limit, but it usually takes me less
time to look through to find the right info there than it does for me to
remember where dmesg.boot was stored.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods