Subject: Re: PC164 questions
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: B. James Phillippe spamblock <bryan-spamtrap2@darkforest.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/18/2002 13:58:40
On the distinguished day of Jun 18, Jochen Kunz said:

> Hi.
>
> Today arrived the ePayed PC164 board. Naked. No RAM, 533MHz CPU but no
> heat sink. I jumpered the board to 128 bit memory bus, threw in 4 x 16MB
> ATX PSU, powered it on and - nothing. Even the CPU didn't get warm. I

Hi Jochen,

Does you PSU fan also not come on?  Your power supply probably requires
normal ATX "soft power on" capability; the PC164 boards don't support this
(at least, the ones I know of don't).  I too got a new ATX power supply and
had to employ some crafty mainboard soldering (see "engineering fix" in the
link below) to force "soft power on" permanently.  I picked a PSU that had
a manual switch on the back as well, specifically for this purpose (so I
can still turn it on/off).  Here is a link that might be helpful:

http://www.omnistep.com/~advantag/pwrsup.htm

You can test this theory out by *carefully* manually shorting the
appropriate pins of the power connecter and see if your fans all spin up.

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org
# Software Engineer