Subject: Re: netboot 1.5ZC on AS2100
To: CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
From: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/25/2002 00:14:54
Choi,

I was able to successfully netboot this kernel. Here's what I did on my
DEC3000 running NetBSD 1.5ZA:

uncomment tftp and bootps in /etc/services
uncomment tftp and bootps in /etc/inetd.conf

ps aux | grep inetd | awk '{ print $2 }' | xargs kill -HUP

mkdir -p /tftpboot/client/root

Get the 1.5.2 netboot code from the NetBSD ftp server
(ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/alpha/installation/netboot/netboot)a
nd saved it as /tftpboot/boot.netbsd.alpha

Added this entry to my /etc/bootptab:

# /etc/bootptab
#
client.domain.com:\
    :ht=ether:\
    :ha=aabbccddeeff:\
    :sm=255.255.255.0:\
    :lg=www.xxx.yyy.zzz:\
    :ip=www.xxx.yyy.zzz:\
    :hn:\
    :bf=boot.netbsd.alpha:\
    :bs=auto:\
    :rp=/tftpboot/client/root/:\
    :vm=auto:

Where aabbccddeeff is the MAC address of the network card and
www.xxx.yyy.zzz is the IP address you want to assign to the 2100, and
255.255.255.0 is the correct netmask.

Added this entry to my /etc/exports
# /etc/exports
#
/tftpboot/client/root -maproot=root:wheel   -network www.xxx.yyy -mask
255.255.255.0

same conventions for www.xxx.yyy and 255.255.255.0 as above.

make sure rpcbind, mountd, nfsd are running. If they are already, kill them
and re-run them, this will make them reload the configs. If they aren't
running, run them. they need to be running

The kernel boots, but fails to find /sbin/init. This is not an install
kernel. To continue you will have to setup a basic system, in the
/tftpboot/client/root directory (including /usr, /etc, /sbin, /bin etc) so
the machine can continue to boot.

Hope you can get it going.

If anyone can tell Choi or myself how to make an install kernel, I could
make one and package it up for him. Just to make life that little bit
easier. Heck, I might even submit it to the NetBSD server so others can
enjoy NetBSD on their 2100/2100A's.

Cheers,

Collin