Subject: Mozilla (was Re: XalphaNetBSD multihead ?)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/21/2002 11:18:57
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:13:13AM +0300, jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 09:11:43AM -0700, David Hopper wrote:
> > It's the XML-based interface that drags it down (XUL?).  Running Galeon,
> > Skipjack, or other Gecko-based browsers is snappy (when stable) on the
> > Alpha.

.........snip...whinewhinewhinewhine....snip....

> I'll try to update gtk, glib and everything I can find and see what happens.

Got fresh pkgsrc, did a make update in glib. After hours and hours of
compilation: Mozilla 'seems' to be more stable, though it's still too slow
to be even considered usable. No cursor for abiword, still slow. Tried
Galeon, the GTK-window dressing is nice, the url-field is quite snappy
to type in but web-forms are as slow as with moz (which makes sense).

I haven't tried KDE2 + Konq yet but so far the fastest browser is
emul-osf1 netscape, too bad that the fonts have that netscape-suckyness-factor.

There's also something stupid with GTK, because for example with ethereal the
sub-windows are huge ie. you run out of screen-estate trying to resize the
main-window to get to those square window-resize widgets.

But mozilla seriously seems to have some sort of alpha-deficit. I wonder
if it affects Sparc64 as well ?

I think I'll go back to twm + bunch of xterms now :-)
--
jht