Subject: Re: Mozilla slowness (was Re: XalphaNetBSD multihead ?)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/20/2002 06:14:58
> Welcome to the modern world, where companies like Microsoft get by
> adding bloat after bloat to their code, under the assumption that you
> will be upgrading to a faster machine by the time you are running it
> anyways.  [...]

> Geez.. my old 1.78Mhz TRS-80 (Z80) booted off floppy in seconds.
> Power on, floppy seeks to track zero, seeks to the directory, seeks
> to the OS and loads it... 10 seconds or less you are at a 'LDOS'
> command prompt.  Now I have a 1Ghz system at work with 256MB of RAM,
> and it takes well over a minute to boot into its fancy graphical
> interface.  Sigh... "progress".

On a mud I frequent, I've seen two connect messages that seem relevant:

"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
computer hardware industry."  - Henry Petroski

"Wordstar on an 4.077 MHz 8088 could keep up with my typing; WinWord
under Windoze on a 300 MHz PII can't." - Seth Breidbart

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign