Subject: Re: XalphaNetBSD multihead ?
To: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/05/2002 20:42:42
On Sun 05 May 2002 at 09:11:43 -0700, David Hopper wrote:
> It's the XML-based interface that drags it down (XUL?).  Running Galeon,
> Skipjack, or other Gecko-based browsers is snappy (when stable) on the
> Alpha.

On my PWS 433a with HP 700/RX X terminal, Galeon is hardly or nothing
faster than Mozilla. At least, as far as I have been able to see, since
it crashes quite easily. For instance, with a floating point exception
on http://slashdot.org.

When a complete window refresh is needed (such as after a workspace
switch or a window-unshade, Galeon appears slower because it first
updates its own frame and then the webpage. Mozilla first updates the
webpage and only then its own frame (with buttons and URL-bar &c). This
appears to be faster, although a small test seems to show that it
depends on the contents of the page, which one is actually finished
first.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.