Subject: Re: XalphaNetBSD multihead ?
To: None <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/03/2002 22:53:05
Roland Dowdeswell said:

> On 1020405953 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com wrote:
>>
> There is a small kernel patch which looks something like this:

<patch removed>

> Please keep in mind that I just regenerated that off the top of my head
> and so I cannot guarantee that it is strictly speaking correct, or even
> that it compiles.  It is just pseudo-code for what I think that I
> remember doing.

I wish my real code would ever be as good as that piece of
pseudocode :). Thanks a million, everything worked beautifully! Another
HP delegated into life of headlessness.

> At this point you call XalphaNetBSD with -dev /dev/ttyF0:/dev/ttyE0, or
> -dev /dev/ttyE0:/dev/ttyF0.  I think that is the right order
> for them, the only strict requirement seems to be that the wsdisplay
> which has the keyboard and mouse must be the first one in the list.
> IIRC, the kernel attaches the keyboard and mouse to the last one
> that is matched which in the two card case is /dev/ttyF0.

I'm using /dev/ttyE0:/dev/ttyF0 at the moment. Just Works (tm).

This baby alpha is slowly getting to be a reasonable workstation. If only I
could get: (1.5ZC, current from last Sunday)
a) colors for the tga2 (I'm so lazy, but now that I have to look at it, as
   it's on the second display maybe I'll try the colormap-program
b) Arrowkeys (cursorkeys) to work in OSF1 communicator
c) Mozilla 0.9.9 (or someday 1.0RCx) to work. Right now it crashes within
   30 seconds in (top of my head) ns_imageGtk (?). And it's a lot slower
   than on an i386 200MHz machine. A lot. Typing an url, say www.netbsd.org
   takes about 30 seconds. Even I'm not that slow a typist.
d) rid of the annoying panics when booting with a CD inserted:
   sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL ST6.4S, 0F0C> SCSI2
0/direct fixed
  sd0: 6180 MB, 7068 cyl, 8 head, 223 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12657717 sectors
  sd0: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
  cd0 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <DEC, RRD45   (C) DEC, 1645> SCSI2 5/cdrom
removable
  panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "p != NULL" failed: file
"/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/VOODOO/../../../../kern/kern_synch.c", line
395
e) rid of the panics I get when rebooting:
Exiting on signal 15
restart
syncing disks... 2 2 done

CPU 0: fatal kernel trap:

CPU 0    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
CPU 0    a0         = 0x30
CPU 0    a1         = 0x1
CPU 0    a2         = 0x0
CPU 0    pc         = 0xfffffc0000326994
CPU 0    ra         = 0xfffffc0000322670
CPU 0    pv         = 0xfffffc0000326960
CPU 0    curproc    = 0xfffffc0006b21cd0
CPU 0        pid = 1733, comm = reboot

panic: trap
rebooting...

Anyway, this beats my HP hands down :-). I actually got a bit carried away
and installed different versions of NetBSD on approx. seven AS 500's
(not at home). Thanks for all the great work!

--
jht