Subject: Re: X weirdness (TGA2, AS600, -current)
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/12/2002 16:23:28
"Jarkko Teppo" wrote:

>OK. After playing around with XFree86 4.2 built from sources a few
>days ago and using the TGA driver I got as far as getting the stippled
>background, mouse pointer and a crash/freeze. XF doesn't restore
>wscons properly so I've rebooting a lot. A lot of "bad wsmouse event" errors.

The XFree86 project doesn't support the TGA2, so you won't have
much luck with that without a bit of hacking.  The TGA2 has a
different RAMDAC interface than the older TGA.  Only XalphaNetBSD
is likely to work on the PowerStorm 3d30 or 4d20.

>Anyway, after pointing the symlink back to XalphaNetBSD (from the 1.5ZA
>snapshot) I was now able to get color. Twm title bars were of the correct
>color, and after trying a bit more I found out that it works OK for
>the first non-black-or-white color. eg:
>#echo "exec xterm" >.xinitrc
>#startx
>(in xterm)
>#xsetroot -solid red (closer to grayish green)
>#xsetroot -solid midnightblue (cyan (?) not blue anyway)
>#xsetroot -solid blue (green tinted with blue)
>#xterm -bg red (Gives an xterm with black background and black text)

This actually is starting to sound like a sync-on-green issue,
since you are getting the wrong colours in a sort of `things look
more green' way.

the cmap program that I posted to this list can be found at the
mailing list archives:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2000/08/22/0001.html

and I enclose it as an attachment.

You can use this program to poke the colour map manually and see
if any additional data points emerge.  If you do it on the console,
I'd recommend that you do it over ssh(1) or a serial console as it
is pretty easy to end up with $COLOR text on a $COLOR background.
And it will confuse X a bit, since X doesn't expect that the colour
map can change underneath it.

 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==
#forw [forwarded message] +/u/elric/usr/mail/NetBSD/port-alpha 4926