Subject: Re: X weirdness (TGA2, AS600, -current)
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/2002 04:08:53
"Jarkko Teppo" wrote:

>I've got two different cards:
>
>tga0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: TGA2 pass 2, board type T8-02
>tga0: 1024 x 768, 8bpp, Bt485 RAMDAC
>tga0: interrupting at kn20aa irq 16
>wsdisplay0 at tga0: console (std, vt100 emulation)

So, I was using a 32bit TGA2 (which is a bit different on the colour
front), so I just switched it out for my 8bit variant, they look
like the same card, although I am not using mine as a console[1].

tga0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: TGA2 pass 2, board type T8-02
tga0: 1280 x 1024, 8bpp, Bt485 RAMDAC
tga0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 8
wsdisplay0 at tga0 kbdmux 1

My system is:

$ uname -a
NetBSD arioch.imrryr.org 1.5ZA NetBSD 1.5ZA (ARIOCH) #0: Tue Feb  5 11:55:45 EST 2002     elric@arioch.imrryr.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/ARIOCH alpha

and I am running X with the colour working properly [right now,
writing this email], so the problem may be subtle or perhaps a
newer bug than my kernel.  The Xserver that I'm running is the one
found ftp.netbsd.org in:
/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/snapshot/20020301-1.5ZA/binary/sets/xserver.tgz
The kernel was just one time that I did a cvs up in early Feb.

>and (I haven't tested this with the AS600:
>
>tga0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: DC21030 step C, board type T8-02
>tga0: 1280 x 1024, 8bpp, Bt485 RAMDAC
>tga0: interrupting at kn20aa irq 16
>wsdisplay0 at tga0 (kbdmux ignored): console (std, vt100 emulation)
>
>The latter one has dip-switches accessible from the outside (ie. near
>the VGA connector) while the first one doesn't. I can provide

The dip switches control the resolution that it presents.  The TGA2
(aka Powerstorm 3d30) has a 16 position wheel on it on the inside
rather than the 4 dip switches and that provide the same functionality.
The older TGA card must be initialised by the SRM for NetBSD (or
any other OS that I've seen) to be able to use it, so YMMV w.r.t.
to the AS 600.  My PWS433a, e.g., does not initialise the older
TGA cards.

>chip/serial -numbers if needed. Oh yeah, I managed to get color, once.
>With a .xinitrc containing only "exec xterm" and starting another
>xterm with "xterm -bg red" gave me an xterm with red background.
>After that all the other colors failed.

This is just an odd problem.  :-)  I'll try to dig up a colour map
twiddling program that I posted to this list a while ago which
allows you to individually change the colour map entries---that may
help to narrow down the problems.

[1]	maybe the console difference is the issue, I haven't used the
	8bit card as a console in many months.  I'll try that tomorrow.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==