Subject: Re: pc164 board problems
To: Chris Price <cprice@its.to>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/04/2002 11:22:12
On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:16:46AM -0700, Chris Price wrote:
  | 	I am inheriting a PC164 motherboard, with what I think is a 400 or
  | 433mhz cpu. I am unsure as to the cpu speed as I cannot get the darn
  | thing
  | to boot.
  |
  | 	I have SIMM slots J5-J8 populated with 4mx36 true parity simms. The
  | simms are the ones that were in the mobo when it was previously running.
  | Jumper
  | J1 is 'on', but when I boot I get the '6 beep' error code.

According to my PC164 manual, 6 beeps is the same as POST code 3F
fatal error subcode 6, which is:
	Checksum error detected when image was read back from memory

Sounds like dodgy memory to me.

Also, have a search around www.netbsd.org and any links off into the
old Digital/DEC pages at Compaq; I think that there might be a pdf or
postscript copy of the PC164 manual available there.

Luke.