Subject: Re: Corrupted 20011221-1.5ZA Snapshot
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/28/2002 13:20:17
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> Hmm, odd. I downloaded and installed the snapshot on my AS200 4/166.
> I've been running ever since with no problems. I built world at the
> end of January, but was running the snapshot until then (although I
> made my own kernel shortly after upgrading). Granted, this was an
> upgrade of a running system, so I didn't use newfs for anything, and
> I don't use restore/dump.

Well, the newfs thing has not been a problem for just me:

	http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/NetBSD/472/25/7615537/

Can you check out newfs and see if it does this for you, too?

The machines we're using are quite different, so perhaps the gcc
problems only cause failures on 21[12]64 chips. But I also had a
fresh kernel (thanks simonb!) that I am told runs multiuser on a
fairly new machine completely fail to boot on the DS-20 I tried it on.

It seems to me fairly unlikely that there are any real hardware
problems here, as I've had problems with NetBSD on both of the two
DS-20s, and Linux and DU run without problems on both. I'm thinking
perhaps our support for the DS-20 is lacking somewhere.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to debug this further; the
client simply won't have anything to do with NetBSD any more (and
he really wants to get these machines into production).

I've updated the README file in the 1.5ZA snapshot directory;
perhaps I'll just leave it at that. Someone else more involved with
alphas should take over and deal with this issue, I think. (I no
longer own any alphas myself, so I don't have the ability to test
or build any more.)

cjs