Subject: Re: Corrupted 20011221-1.5ZA Snapshot
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/27/2002 22:48:10
At 12:16 PM +0900 2/28/02, Curt Sampson wrote:
>The 20011221-1.5ZA snapshot appears to be too corrupt to use. Newfs
>is known to be broken (both on the install floppies and in the main
>system), dump has blown up for me, and god knows what else could
>go wrong.
>
>Leaving this kind of thing around is problamatic. For example, a
>recent customer of mine and I lost about eight hours trying to get
>this snapshot installed on one of this machines, at a cost to him
>of about $1200. Needless to say, we're running Linux on those alphas
>now, and he will never touch NetBSD on any machine ever again.
>
>If there's no objection, I'm going to delete this snapshot.
>Please cc responses to me directly to make sure I receive them.

Hmm, odd. I downloaded and installed the snapshot on my AS200 4/166.
I've been running ever since with no problems. I built world at the
end of January, but was running the snapshot until then (although I
made my own kernel shortly after upgrading). Granted, this was an
upgrade of a running system, so I didn't use newfs for anything, and
I don't use restore/dump.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.