Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2002 10:26:08
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:27:41AM -0500, David Woyciesjes wrote:

> > Once our router filled up with water from a leak in the roof (for some
> > reason it was on the top floor). This was a while back, so it was a big
> > old Cisco AGS+... anyway once the water reaches a certain level inside
> > the case, you get a bang and an intense burning smell. I called the
> > campus network people to come over, but by the time they arrived, a
> > couple of our faculty had the router taken apart into about 30 pieces
> > across the floor.
> >
> 	But the important question is, did they get it working again? Or did
> they just bust it up?

I think it just got carried away in its 30 pieces and was replaced by
another. Unless they were ready to start winding a new power supply I
don't think there was anything that could be done.

It was worthwhile though just for the look on the faces of the network
guys when they arrived...

G.
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager - gta@umn.edu - (612) 624-5040
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota