Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2002 10:01:35
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:52:21AM -0500, David Woyciesjes wrote:

> > >	Why not have it boot off the floppy, then it can mount the IDE
> > >drives normally? IIRC, you can then remove the kernel floppy, and use it
> > >normally...
> >
> > Heh, but if you remove the floppy, then you had better be sure that
> > you're present anytime it needs a reboot ;-)
> >
> > Mike
> > --
> >
> 	Uh, too true. But also, who still uses floppies for storage anymore?
> They're only for installing, and Multia kernels, right?

True... we were sticking our Multias out in the wilds, as xterms for
students whose advisors wouldn't buy them anything better (seriously,
I've had long arguments about why I *won't* run a serial line to set up
that old VT100 - though not for a couple of years!), so the floppy idea
seemed a bit fallable to me. On the other hand... close the little
flap, and who would even know the floppy drive was there?

Graham
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager - gta@umn.edu - (612) 624-5040
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota