Subject: Re: Setting Console on 3000/300 to serial without video or
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2002 01:04:25
>When I power up my 3000/300 without a video cable or keyboard
>attached, I never see any
>activity on the serial port.
>
>If I attach just the video, and power up, I see the test on the
>monitor, then it mentions
>that the keyboard is not available, then I can interact via the
>serial console.
>
>Is there a way to eliminate the video cable all together?

I have no experience with 3000s at all. My AS200 4/166 worked fine
with serial console with the TGA card yanked back before we had TGA
support (it's great with X on my IntelliColor monitor now tho ;-)

However, I've been running Macintoshes for years, and they require a
monitor to be present. So for headless servers, generally there are
two suggestions. One is to use a video adapter...you could use an
HD-15 to DB-15 (VGA to old Mac video) to do this. Apple actually has
a knowledgebase article giving the part numbers for what adapter to
use to fool each of their server models. The other method is to use a
paper clip to short pins in the port to make it "sense" that there is
a monitor. Unfortunately, I don't remember offhand which pins
required shorting.

HTH
Mike
--