Subject: Re: RAM and drive for Multia?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/13/2002 02:25:03
On 2002.02.12 at 16:21 Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>I found several Multias for sale without memory and drives.
>
>I was told that they need parity RAM and some sort of proprietary SCSI
>drive.
>
>What are some good links that indicate what part numbers or what type of
>RAM and SCSI drives it supports?
>
>Any suggestions on where to buy RAM and a drive?
>
>I'd like to try NetBSD on a Alpha ...

Hello,

it needs normal 36bit True Parity SIMMs (FPM or EDO).

if you are lucky you get one with the SCSI riser and a piece
of metal you can build a fully normal 3.5" half height (1")
SCSI-2 (50 pin) drive into it over the TGA part of the mobo,
in place of the PCI card.

if you are not so lucky you can still install a 2.5" IDE
laptop drive and have NetBSD root fs on it, but you will
need to boot from a floppy (for this your Multia needs to
have that thin laptop floppy drive Multias used to have)

Regards,

Szabolcs Rumi