Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: Herb Peyerl <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Wilko Bulte <email@example.com>
Date: 02/09/2002 14:46:36
On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:54:29PM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> Wilko Bulte <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:50:22PM -0800, Jack Twilley wrote:
> > > I killed my Multia.
> > > I used a Dremel to remove the failed chip, and that almost worked.
> > > A couple of lands came up, and a couple of legs didn't come off. The
> > > soldering iron removed the leg fragments, but it also revealed that
> > > the grinder had also taken out several traces.
> > Bad idea... A sharp knife would have worked if you don't dare to do
> > it with a soldering iron.
> "Hey Cecil, pass me the belt sander! I gots ta replace this har
> cee peuwww"
C'mon, it works. I tried it. Having replaced a 100+ lead QFP keyboard
controller on SMP mainboard I do have some experience here 8-)
OK, I used a stereo microscope for that one. But also an ordinary
Weller WECP thermostatically controlled soldering iron with a needle tip.
One could always hack up the severed Multia to get something like
| / o / /_ _ wilko@FreeBSD.org
|/|/ / / /( (_) Bulte Arnhem, the Netherlands