Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/09/2002 14:46:36
On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:54:29PM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>  > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:50:22PM -0800, Jack Twilley wrote:
>  > > I killed my Multia.
>  >
>  > > I used a Dremel to remove the failed chip, and that almost worked.
>  > > A couple of lands came up, and a couple of legs didn't come off.  The
>  > > soldering iron removed the leg fragments, but it also revealed that
>  > > the grinder had also taken out several traces.
>  >
>  > Bad idea... A sharp knife would have worked if you don't dare to do
>  > it with a soldering iron.
>
> "Hey Cecil, pass me the belt sander! I gots ta replace this har
> cee peuwww"

C'mon, it works. I tried it. Having replaced a 100+ lead QFP keyboard
controller on SMP mainboard I do have some experience here 8-)
OK, I used a stereo microscope for that one. But also an ordinary
Weller WECP thermostatically controlled soldering iron with a needle tip.

One could always hack up the severed Multia to get something like

http://people.freebsd.org/~wilko/NCR_hack/ncr_hack.html

Enjoy ;)

Wilko