Subject: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: NetBSD/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/07/2002 19:50:22
I killed my Multia.

I used a Dremel to remove the failed chip, and that almost worked.
A couple of lands came up, and a couple of legs didn't come off.  The
soldering iron removed the leg fragments, but it also revealed that
the grinder had also taken out several traces.

I attempted to install the chip, but my soldering skills were
suboptimal.  I won't even insult the machine with an attempt to boot.
I'm just going to throw it away and unsub from the list.

Thanks for the tips.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley