Subject: AS1200 problems
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/31/2002 15:42:14
I have been having frequent memory management faults on my AlphaServer 1200
5/533.  I've been tracking NetBSD-current on this particular tincup since
December '99.  I _think_ I can trace the faults back to around the time of
the multiprocessor changes.

The memory management faults occur with seemingly random processes, but
most often when I increase the load on the machine:  it's happened most
frequently with imapd (2001a from pkgsrc), moving a large directory from a
RAID device to another SCSI HD, and more recently, and reproducibly, on a
build.sh on various processes soon after the libs have been installed into
destdir.  The machine can go for a month if I leave it to its
imap/webserving duties, or it faults daily if I am trying to sup & rebuild.

I thought it was the RAM, so I tried a build using brand-new Crucial memory
today.  Same mm fault:

CPU0	trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
CPU0	a0	   = 0x0
CPU0	a1	   = 0x1
CPU0	a2	   = 0xffffffffffffffff
CPU0	pc	   = 0x0
CPU0	ra	   = 0x0
CPU0	pv	   = 0xfffffc000037d260
CPU0	curproc	   = 0xfffffc00rf98da00
CPU0	       pid = 8452, comm = cpp0

Then a hang on the sync to disk.

I'm at wit's end, but I absolutely will not install any other BSD.  I know
Jason uses an AS1200 for the multiproc stuff, so I can't imagine that he's
got the same troubles...

Thanks very much in advance,
Dave Hopper
dhop@nwlink.com