Subject: Re: Some progress with Multia - but still not done
To: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/30/2002 07:30:44
Jack Twilley wrote:

>I'm using V3.8-3 of the firmware, the netboot from the online form
>with broken firmware set to yes, and a set of NFS mounts constructed
>as per the NetBSD documentation on setting up a diskless workstation.

Try it with Broken Firmware set to `no'.  That's what works for my
Multia which has V3.8-3.

>Four times alpha sends out DHCP:DISCOVER messages.  Not TFTP messages
>for "netbsd", but DHCP messages.  duchess responds with all the
>appropriate information, including a root path.  After four attempts,
>alpha complains that it cannot get the kernel.
>
>Am I missing something here?  I've looked at the documentation, but
>there seems to be no way to make this thing mount the root path and
>"just do it".  Are there flags that I should supply?  Help?

So, to see if I can help with the procedure, this is what `should'
happen:

1.  multia SRM does a bootp request, server answers.
2.  multia SRM loads bootloader via TFTP.
3.  multia bootloader does a bootp request, server answers
	(this is where your multia is failing)
4.  multia bootloader mounts NFS root.
5.  multia bootloader grabs '/netbsd' from NFS.
5.  multia bootloader jumps into the kernel.
6.  multia NetBSD kernel boots.
7.  multia NetBSD kernel does a DHCP/bootp request, server answers.
8.  everything works...

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==