Subject: DECpc AXP 150 and NetBSD install
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Norman <normanb@surftx.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/28/2002 11:26:00
First off, sorry for the original html email, I did not realize that the
default on Outlook Express was html format.

I have a Decpc AXP 150 machine that I would like to load NetBSD on.  It has
an Alpha AXP Rom ver 2.2 loaded with a SRM firmware 370.  This is an EISA
only motherboard with a 21064 cpu and 64 MB of RAM.

During NT bootup, the scsi controller and both hard drives are recognized,
as is the cd-rom, floppy, and DEC network card.

It has both the SRM and the ARC consoles, which I can select to boot to.

I can boot to the ECU floppy which has version 1.4 on it.

I have both a bootable CD and a bootable floppy with NetBSD on them.  When I
try to boot to either, I get an 84 FAIL error.

I do not have much documentation for this system and I have been following
the directions from a document that I downloaded from the Alpha-NetBSD
website.  It's heading is "September 10, 2001 INSTALL 8 NetBSD.htm".

I have the following devices identified by the system:

ADP0002 SCSI
ISA VGA
DEC4220 NIC
DVA0  PC Floppy Disk
DKA0  A/0/0  Disk FX DSP3133
DKA100  A/1/0  Disk FX RZ26F
DKA500   A/5/0  RoDisk RM CD-ROM
HOST  A/7/0  Proc  AHA1742A

When I type;

>>> B DVA0

I get;

   84 FAIL

or, when I type:

>>>b dka500

I get:

INIT-S-CPU...
AUDIT_BOOT_STARTS ...

   84 FAIL

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  If you have any links that I
can follow to read more about this, please post them.  I will read and try
to fix this by "trial-and-error" or by following others advice.  I would
just like to get this system working with any *BSD or *nix system that it
will run on.

TIA,
Bill Norman