Subject: Re: ALphaServer 1000 SIMSs!!
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/23/2002 11:03:51
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:

=> All the hardware info I've seen on the 3000/300s indicate they only
=> take 8MB or 32MB true parity SIMMs, installed in pairs.  The 8 72-pin
=> SIMM slots comprise 4 banks of two slots.  My experience is you can't
=> interleave 32MB SIMM pairs and 8MB SIMM pairs in these banks.  If
=> you have 32MB and 8MB SIMMs, all the 32MB SIMMs must be installed
=> starting in bank 0, then all the 8MB SIMMs *after* all the 32MBs.
[...]
=> I think the definitive hardware reference guide is this manual:
=>
=> "DEC 3000 Model 300/300L Hardware Reference Guide," ref. no. EK-PELCN-OG

I have a copy of this guide, and it backs up everything you say (only 32
or 8 MB SIMMs; both SIMMs of a bank must be the same; all 32 MB in
lower-numbered banks first; no gaps between banks; etc.).

However, Riccardo's is at least the second piece of anecdotal evidence
I've heard that 16 MB SIMMs actually appear to work in the 3000/300 that
I'm inclined to give it a try.  (It would let me go from 64 to 128 MB
RAM in one of our 3000/300s...)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu