Subject: Re: ALphaServer 1000 SIMSs!!
To: None <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/23/2002 10:42:51
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it wrote:

=> I installed 4 32MB + 4 16MB SIMM taken from a AS1000 into my DEC3000/M300
=> and they works perfectly!

That's great news.  I have some 16 MB IBM 70ns parity SIMMs I could use
to upgrade the 8 MB SIMMs currently in another 3000/300 I use.

=> anyone know a program to test heavily the memory modules?

Try "test mem all" from the SRM prompt.  It tests for address and data
stuck-at faults; various bit tests; and the LLSC instruction.  I've had
the latter test fail (due to a bad motherboard).

On an error, you'll get an error code of the form "8xy", where x denotes
the SIMM bank (0 to 7) and y is 0 or 1 to denote data errors in one
SIMM; y=8 for data errors in both SIMMs of a SIMM pair; y=F is unable to
discern which SIMM in the SIMM pair is in error.

Here's the table to locate which SIMM is bad from the error message:

Value  SIMM
=====  ====
 800   0 [1]
 810   0
 801   1
 811   1
 820   2
 830   2
 821   3
 831   3
 840   4
 850   4
 841   5
 851   5
 860   6
 870   6
 861   7 [2]
 871   7

[1] SIMM 0 is next to the TURBOchannel connector (i.e., nearest the back
    of the case)
[2] SIMM 7 is closest to the front of the motherboard

Remember that SIMMs must be fitted to the 3000/300 in pairs, and both
SIMMs of the pair must be of the same type.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa