Subject: Re: Installing 1.5.2 to a PWS 600a(u)
To: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/22/2002 22:19:33
On 2002.01.22 16:38 Paul de Weerd wrote:

> Well .. I'm considering Tru64 (even NT, just for fun), but I prefer an
> Open OS (Net-, Open-, or FreeBSD or Linux).
I got a Tru64 licence with my machine so this was no problem. Also: Only
Tru64 (and OpenVMS) have drivers for the 4D50T and I wanted to look
beyond the horizon of my NetBSD centric world. Not to speak about this
nice AdvFS that is _much_ superior to any FS I have seen bevore...

> Apparantly I am ;) How much trouble would it be to make another
> sysinst that does mount to /mnt ? All other hardware I have is i386...
Blame the one that wrote sysinst. This is his beer. ;-)

> hmm .. Last time I tried that, I ended up with a system unusable to
> normal users (my fault, no setuid bits were extracted). This was quite
> a nuisance to fix.
He. You forgot to use the "p" option of tar.

> | Tru64 / OpenVMS. (+ most a machines have IDE disk/CDROM, au
> | machines come with SCSI devices.
> Hmm .. I have SRM (I think, but what do I know ;),
If you can boot NetBSD, you have SRM. ARC is the NT only booter.
Everything else uses SRM.

> an IDE CDROM and SCSI disk ;) (This is a refurbished box)
Actualy many NT boxen where shiped with SCSI stuff for better
performance...

> I did have problems with de from the bootfloppies. After configuring
> de0, I couldn't get a single bit out of it. But the kernel only
> detects de, not tlp.
Exactly that is the bug in de(4). de(4) doesn't know how to work with
the physical interface in the PWS [56]00au. tlp(4) knows about that.
Unfortunately the one and only way to solve this is a new compiled
kernel.

> For what it's worth, SRM didn't work on that card. I've tried both VGA
> connectors, but I didn't get any output.
Hmmm? Maybe the VGA part of the 4D60T is disabled. (There is a jumper to
do this.) But I don't think that this is the case. Maybe the machine is
configured to use serial console regardless of the graphics hardware.
Check the SRM variables...

> I'd prefer to use this card (as it sounds utterly cool ;) but have
> already fixed it up with a Voodoo Banshee (the fastest card supported
> by XFree with a PCI interface I could find).
Ahhmmm. The NetBSD/alpha Xserver is no XFree86. Remember that XFree86 is
a x86 only thing. Beginning with 4.x they have multi platform support.
But I don't know how far the OS support that it need is in NetBSD. I
know that one version of XFree86 was running on -current a while ago.
But with plain -release 1.5 you get no XFree86.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen