Subject: Re: Installing 1.5.2 to a PWS 600a(u)
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/22/2002 16:38:33
On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:59:12PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
| On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:41:59AM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:
|
| > I'm trying to install 1.5.2 to my fresh and new Personal WorkStation
| > 600a.
| Nice machine. I have a 500au... (runing Tru64...)

Well .. I'm considering Tru64 (even NT, just for fun), but I prefer an
Open OS (Net-, Open-, or FreeBSD or Linux).

| > Unfortunately, when I try installing with sysinst, the install
| > fails trying to mount /dev/sd0a on /. Shouldn't that be /mnt ?
| It should. But anyway, who is using sysinst? ;-)

Apparantly I am ;) How much trouble would it be to make another
sysinst that does mount to /mnt ? All other hardware I have is i386...

| > Is there any way around this apart from manually creating filesystems
| > and extracting filesets ?
| Ahhh. That is the usual way to get NetBSD on anything. ;-)
| And it is the reason why I love NetBSD: It gives the user full controll.

hmm .. Last time I tried that, I ended up with a system unusable to
normal users (my fault, no setuid bits were extracted). This was quite
a nuisance to fix.

| > I'm new to the arch (coming from i386) so I
| > was hoping for an easy install to get me on the road ;)
| Manual install is the same on nearly every arch. There are some
| i386isms that you can forget (fdisk, whole disk partition is d).
| Bigest difference is installing the boot blocks in most cases.

Well .. I'll have to try and find out.

| > Dmesg (note that it says 600au, where my case says 600a, dont know
| > what the difference is (yet)) :
| There is no difference. a is the machine preconfigured with ARC
| console for NT, au is the machine preconfigured with SRM console for
| Tru64 / OpenVMS. (+ most a machines have IDE disk/CDROM, au
| machines come with SCSI devices.

Hmm .. I have SRM (I think, but what do I know ;), an IDE CDROM and
SCSI disk ;) (This is a refurbished box)

| BTW: If you get problems with the network, try the tlp(4) in
| place of the de(4) driver.

I did have problems with de from the bootfloppies. After configuring
de0, I couldn't get a single bit out of it. But the kernel only
detects de, not tlp.

| > Also note that my video card (a PowerStorm 4D60T, using 2 PCI slots)
| > is not detected. Could this be due to the slots being 64 bit ?
| Gaaaaa! A 4D60T! I have "only" a 4D50T. The 4D60T is a high end
| 3D accelerator, comparable to the SGI MaxImpact. They where made
| by Intergraph... I doubt that there will be a NetBSD XServer in
| the future. This card is mostly two cards in one. A standard VGA
| for text console and 640x480@16 colors, and that 3D blaster for
| anything else. It has to be in a 64 bit slot to make SRM happy.
| NetBSD may not detect it, because the card may not mark herself
| as a VGA compatible device.

For what it's worth, SRM didn't work on that card. I've tried both VGA
connectors, but I didn't get any output.

| If you really wane use NetBSD on that machine, I recommend to
| remove that power sucking 4D60T monster. Replace it with a
| standard VGA (text console only) or a TGA / TGA2 / 4D20 if you
| want X11.

I'd prefer to use this card (as it sounds utterly cool ;) but have
already fixed it up with a Voodoo Banshee (the fastest card supported
by XFree with a PCI interface I could find).

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd