Subject: Re: Installing 1.5.2 to a PWS 600a(u)
To: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/22/2002 13:59:12
On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:41:59AM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:

> I'm trying to install 1.5.2 to my fresh and new Personal WorkStation
> 600a.
Nice machine. I have a 500au... (runing Tru64...)

> Unfortunately, when I try installing with sysinst, the install
> fails trying to mount /dev/sd0a on /. Shouldn't that be /mnt ?
It should. But anyway, who is using sysinst? ;-)

> Is there any way around this apart from manually creating filesystems
> and extracting filesets ?
Ahhh. That is the usual way to get NetBSD on anything. ;-)
And it is the reason why I love NetBSD: It gives the user full controll.

> I'm new to the arch (coming from i386) so I
> was hoping for an easy install to get me on the road ;)
Manual install is the same on nearly every arch. There are some
i386isms that you can forget (fdisk, whole disk partition is d).
Bigest difference is installing the boot blocks in most cases.

> Dmesg (note that it says 600au, where my case says 600a, dont know
> what the difference is (yet)) :
There is no difference. a is the machine preconfigured with ARC
console for NT, au is the machine preconfigured with SRM console for
Tru64 / OpenVMS. (+ most a machines have IDE disk/CDROM, au
machines come with SCSI devices.

BTW: If you get problems with the network, try the tlp(4) in
place of the de(4) driver.

> Also note that my video card (a PowerStorm 4D60T, using 2 PCI slots)
> is not detected. Could this be due to the slots being 64 bit ?
Gaaaaa! A 4D60T! I have "only" a 4D50T. The 4D60T is a high end
3D accelerator, comparable to the SGI MaxImpact. They where made
by Intergraph... I doubt that there will be a NetBSD XServer in
the future. This card is mostly two cards in one. A standard VGA
for text console and 640x480@16 colors, and that 3D blaster for
anything else. It has to be in a 64 bit slot to make SRM happy.
NetBSD may not detect it, because the card may not mark herself
as a VGA compatible device.

If you really wane use NetBSD on that machine, I recommend to
remove that power sucking 4D60T monster. Replace it with a
standard VGA (text console only) or a TGA / TGA2 / 4D20 if you
want X11.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen