Subject: Re: DEC3000/M300 SCSI
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/19/2002 11:44:15
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it wrote:

=> it takes something like 30 40 seconds on the INIT-S-SCSI then it goes
=> ahead with no errors. I installed a Quantum 18GB.
=> Is all this normal ? I mean the fact that it takes a long time to scan the
=> scsi  bus?

Have a look at the value of the SCSI_RESET environment variable at the
SRM prompt.  According to the manual I have it governs the delay after a
SCSI reset and before booting.  It takes a value of 0 through 7.  The
description of the value is, "The value is N in the expression 2^N.  For
example, a value of 3 is 2^3 and means 8 seconds.  The default is 2^4."

It may be that your SCSI_RESET is set to 5.  (Confusingly, the manual
says in one place that the delay is in milliseconds, yet seconds in
another.)

I've also seen some hard drives that can be jumpered to wait a delay
based upon their SCSI ID before spinning up.  That may be the source of
your delay, if the drive has a high ID number?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa