Subject: Re: breaking to SRM via a terminal server.
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2002 10:10:18
> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:08:32 +0100
> From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
> To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
> Cc: port-alpha@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: breaking to SRM via a terminal server.
>
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:37:02PM -0800, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> >
> > Does the serial console actually respond to BREAK or is that a Sun or
> > PDP-11 phenomenon?  I thought that the equivalent stimulus for Alpha
> > and Vax was <ctrl>P.
>
> Sun phenomenon. Together with the 'lets halt when we switch of the

Switch off the terminal is just another way to send BREAK on the serial line.

> ^P was it for VAX. I don't think Alphas are very sensitive to ^P
> or whatever. Unless one puts DDB in the kernel of course

I have known Alpha systems based on 164sx motherboard to break on ^P.
Also, I think, the DS10 but I haven't had to do that in quite a while.
 10:08am  up 62 days, 23:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu