Subject: Re: breaking to SRM via a terminal server.
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Stephen M Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2002 07:21:11
> > ^P was it for VAX.
> Only old VAXen. (11/7xx line or so) The newer VAXen all break to console
> when they get a serial break.

As it should be true for the AS1200 and the like.  In a previous message
You suggested something interesting.  Setting the port speed on the terminal
server to 300bps, connecting to it sending some characters and then setting
it back to 9600 and connecting back to see if you're at the P00>> prompt.
Have you had much success with that? ;-)  I've been sifting through the
livingston portmaster archives and have found nearly nothing in regards to
sending breaks down serial lines to get a machine to drop to firmware.

I'm wondering if I need to look at a different solution if the livingston
infact does not allow that.  It seems to handle consoles fine beyond that.
I haven't tried ^P to drop to the kernel debugger though .. I'm assuming
thats the same debugger you'd get in the event of a system panic?

(Sorry, if this was documented somewhere.)