Subject: RE: gcc and glibc
To: 'Dave Huang' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/2002 15:10:58
-----Original Message-----
From: port-alpha-owner@netbsd.org [mailto:port-alpha-owner@netbsd.org]On

> NetBSD isn't Linux, and your boss shouldn't treat it like it is :)
> NetBSD is BSD, and comes with BSD's make. The package system relies on
> BSD make. If you want GNU make too, that's fine--just install it as
> gmake or something like that. In general, you shouldn't be overwriting
> stuff that comes with the system with GNU versions.

I know! And I keep reminding him, but he continues to try to make it like
linux.. *sigh* I did make gnu make and had it as gmake, but mysteriously
it's gone and the bsd make is messed up. Perhaps I'll just bring my alpha
home and forbid him from soiling it's console ever again :)

I'll try looking at the link you gave me and updating. It's not vital, he
just wants to play with interbase in 64-bit land to see how quick/stable it
is. I have an Alphastation 255/233 coming. Perhaps I can let him play with
that with linux installed onto it.