Subject: RE: gcc and glibc
To: port-alpha@netbsd.org <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/05/2002 22:05:30
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Collin Baillie wrote:
> What I meant to say was that gcc needs the glibc to compile.. well that's
> what my boss says, and he's the one who's doing the hard work, I just lent
> him my machine :)

gcc needs a C library... it doesn't have to be GNU's. NetBSD comes with
a perfectly good C library already...

> I installed the comp.tgz package. I installed all packages. The cc supplied
> is egcs not gcc. According to gcc -v.

Is it that important? egcs is based on gcc, and is essentially an older
version of gcc.

> Ok so how do I go about getting the current dist? I assume that gcc2.95.x
> isn't in 1.5.2. Can I 'upgrade' with my live 1.5 system??

I believe ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/snapshot/20011221-1.5ZA
has gcc 2.95.3 in it, although I'm not positive. An upgrade from 1.5.2
should be easy.

> My boss overwrote the NetBSD make with gnumake and now the packages won't
> make. It whinges about something, (has to do with the .include at the bottom
> of the make file) so I'll re-install the comp.tgz package before I try
> anything.

NetBSD isn't Linux, and your boss shouldn't treat it like it is :)
NetBSD is BSD, and comes with BSD's make. The package system relies on
BSD make. If you want GNU make too, that's fine--just install it as
gmake or something like that. In general, you shouldn't be overwriting
stuff that comes with the system with GNU versions.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 26 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++