Subject: Re: anyone seen: netbsd: nfsd send error 55 lately?
To: Stephen M Jones <smj@cirr.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/03/2002 14:51:59
On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:52:07AM -0600, Stephen M Jones wrote:
> > error 55 is ENOBUFS.
> > Maybe it's a problem with the ethernet driver, maybe it's just that you don't
> > have enouth mbufs. Try to bump the kern.mbuf.nmbclusters sysctl.
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> kern.mbuf.nmbclusters = 8192

This should be enouth

> The ethernet device is:
>
> de0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0
> de0: interrupting at kn300 irq 40
> de0: DEC DE500-BA 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0
> de0: address 00:00:f8:09:a8:0f
> de0: enabling 10baseT port

Do you notice any error on this interface (netstat -i) ?
Did you try using the tlp driver instead ?

I suspect the error is because the ethernet driver queue fills up, not
because nmbclusters is too low.

> What I've thought about doing is just using a cross over cable between
> secondary ethernet interfaces and just allowing NFS traffic over that
> network/interface.
>
> Thank you for your response, I'd like a little more help if possible.
>
> BTW, the secondary ethernet interface on that machine is a:
>
> ex0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: 3Com 3c905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet (rev. 0x30)
> ex0: interrupting at kn300 irq 44
> ex0: MAC address 00:50:da:22:98:b8
> OUI 0x000000 model 0x0000 rev 0 at ex0 phy 24 not configured

BTW, you need to configure the phy at mii in your kernel config file.

> The other machine (client) also has two 3c905B adapters.  If this is a
> ethernet driver related problem (the previous bug report I posted about
> suggested that as well) then I might just try using only the 3c905B's
> for NFS.

Yes, you can try this too