Subject: mouse
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/2001 16:10:05
Hi y'all :-)

I hope that everyone had a Merry X-mas, & wish you all a safe yet fun New Year!

I recently had an issue with my Belkin 3-button PS/2 mouse. It would
become fairly unresponsive after a little while in X-windows. If I
exited my X session & went back in, it would be normal for a bit. As
a control, I shutdown -h, unplugged the Belkin & plugged in a "The
Litlle Mermaid" PeeCee mouse (2-button). This performed flawlessly no
matter how long the X session lasted (with the obvious exception that
the non-existent 3rd buton didn't work ;-). I just went to Best Buy
and picked up a Memorex Optical scroll mouse (still PS/2) for 15
bucks. The left button works, the right button works, and the mouse
moves just fine, but the scroll wheel's button doesn't do
middle-button duty. I fired up xev, & moved the pointer into the
window...I pressed the left button, & got a "button 1" mousedown,
similar for "button 3" and release events. Moving of course showed
up. I scrolled the wheel while holding the mouse still...nothing. I
pressed and released the scroll button, & still got zilch.

Fired up Eudora on my Mac, & searched my NetBSD mailings for "scroll"
and "mouse" as I knew this was recently discussed. In netbsd-help,
there it was...Lennart suggested doing "od -X /dev/wsmouse" while not
in X. I did that & got a device not configured error. I added
wscons=yes to my /etc/rc.conf file & rebooted. This didn't change
anything except that it flashed the error about multiple screens
during the dmesg (I already knew that the virt screen wasn't
supported, as these are "bitmap-only" consoles).

relevant DMESG:

NetBSD 1.5ZA (GENERIC) #0: Sun Dec 23 00:08:54 PST 2001
     chs@spanky:/build/obj/build/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC
AlphaStation 200 4/166, 166MHz, s/n

tga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: DC21030 step C, board type T32-08
tga0: 1280 x 1024, 32bpp, Bt463 RAMDAC
tga0: interrupting at isa irq 10
wsdisplay0 at tga0 (kbdmux ignored): console (std, vt100 emulation)

pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0 (mux ignored): console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 (mux ignored)

As you can see, I'm using the snapshot that was just posted, as I
haven't made my usual custom kernel yet, and I haven't quite gotten a
build.sh to finish (yet).

alpha# ls /dev/wsmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel   56,   0 Feb  5  2000 /dev/wsmouse
alpha# od -X /dev/wsmouse
od: /dev/wsmouse: Device not configured

Is there any hope for getting the third button to work with this
mouse under NetBSD? The scroll wheel would just be gravy if it would
be possible at all.

Also, should I post this to netbsd-help as well? I posted it first to
alpha, as there are some things "special" with the alpha, such as no
xfreeconfig necessary for the X server (like my Mac68k).

Any help greatly appreciated,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.