Subject: Re: Who is booting Alpha AXP 150 (aka Jensen)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Duane Eddingfield <deddingf@wecs.bc.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/27/2001 19:27:39
On Thursday 27 December 2001 10:47, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> When you already have a NetBSD machine, why not netboot the Jensen? A
> NetBoot HOWTO is at http://www.netbsd.org in the doc section...

    Been there done that :( Many times. Using bootpd and tcpdump from a
FreeBSD box. The Alphastations netboot easy as pie. The Jensen does all
the proper initialization and then starts loading the netboot program very
slowly until it croaks after about 10 minutes..

> Use a serial console to install. So did I on my DEC 3000 600 to avoid
> problems caused by Xserver and RAM shortage issues...

    Yeah I know.. I just not much interested in running Tru64 anymore..

> 96MB is not that much. Fortunately the Jensen uses ordinary PS/2 parity
> SIMMs, not proprietary SIMMs like the DEC 3000 500 family...

    Oh. I used 36 bit, RPM true parity 4, 8, 16 MB SIMMs, in both..Seemed to
work fine??

> The VAX went out of production years ago and you can still get a current
> OVMS/VAX.
     Incredible!

</Duane>