Subject: Re: Who is booting Alpha AXP 150 (aka Jensen)
To: Duane Eddingfield <deddingf@wecs.bc.ca>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/27/2001 19:47:21
On 2001.12.27 17:45 Duane Eddingfield wrote:

> I've got NetBSD 1.5.2 running on the Alphastation now so I can
> make a bootable CD from the jensen-sable-lynx as suggested.
When you already have a NetBSD machine, why not netboot the Jensen? A
NetBoot HOWTO is at http://www.netbsd.org in the doc section...

> I do have Tru64 5.0 but its installer (Tcl I think)
> can't deal with the Qvision VGA card,
Use a serial console to install. So did I on my DEC 3000 600 to avoid
problems caused by Xserver and RAM shortage issues...

> but it probably going to be sluggy in
> 96 MB of RAM, Linux sure is.
96MB is not that much. Fortunately the Jensen uses ordinary PS/2 parity
SIMMs, not proprietary SIMMs like the DEC 3000 500 family...

> Also Tru64 has no future on the Alpha and NetBSD certainly does.
The Alpha has no future too...=20
The VAX went out of production years ago and you can still get a current
OVMS/VAX.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
         Jochen