Subject: Re: Miata GL 500au + Powerstorm 3D30
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/24/2001 15:32:44
R. C. Dowdeswell wrote

> On 71568801; seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> >
> >G'day,
> >
> >I've finally obtained a Powerstorm 3D30 (BXGB-AA) graphics card and was hoping
> >to get this system to work in graphics mode after setting the console
> >to graphics at the SRM prompt. However, the system refuses to cooperate
> >and stays in serial console mode.
> >
> >NetBSD seems to detect the card ok...
> >
> >tga0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0: TGA2 pass 2, board type T8-02
> >tga0: 1280 x 1024, 8bpp, Bt485 RAMDAC
> >tga0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 12
> >
> >Is there anything I need to do besides setting console to graphics at
> >the SRM prompt? Does the setting of the switch at the top of the card
> >have any bearing on booting into graphics mode (I tried a few
> >different settings without luck)?
> >
> >cheerio Berndt
>
> Yes, you have to have a keyboard plugged it and the card has to be
> in one of the 64bit slots, IIRC.
>
> If these don't work, try to configure the card up:
>
> 	# wsconfig 0
>
> And then see if you can get anything to appear on the screen:
>
> 	# banner woohoo > /dev/ttyE0
>
> If these work, then the card is working properly in NetBSD and you
> just have to see if you can get the booting to work properly.
>
> Actually, those would be good low maintenance tests to do before
> moving the card around, anyway.
>
> I have one of these cards in a PWS 433a and have used it as a
> console, so I am sure that you can get this going.  Right now, I'm
> using one as my second head on a zaphod'ed X setup (and it is what
> I'm typing this email from.)
>
> Unfortunately, on the Miata you probably have to turn off the
> accelerations on X.  (XalphaNetBSD -noaccel.)

G'day Roland,

many thanks for your help.

It now works after I've inserted the card into a 64bit slot. I usually
plug graphic cards into slot closest to the processor.

Do you have a table that shows switch settings for the different
resolutions? My monitor didn't synchronize at the default setting
but seems fine on setting number 5 (1024x768 72Hz).

Merry Xmas,

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes