Subject: Re: SRM 4.9 for AlphaPC164?
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Joerg Czeranski <email@example.com>
Date: 12/17/2001 14:57:28
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:35:04 +0100 (CET), Anders Hogrelius wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Joerg Czeranski wrote:
> > I've read several times that downgrading an AlphaPC164 to SRM 4.9
> > and then upgrading to 5.x fixes the "ISA table corrupt" and the
> > forgetting of console variables.
> Please notify me too if someone can make that version of the SRM
> available. I have the same problems on my box. I thought it was from
> a bad CMOS backup battery, but this sounds far more reasonable.
> Every time there's a power outage my server goes down and needs to
> be manualy restarted, and this would solve that problem. (presumably)
it worked for me (only got around to it this weekend). It did the
1) put fwupdate.exe and a current pc164srm.rom on a FAT floppy
(mark the floppy!)
2) put fwupdate.exe and the 4.9 pc164srm.rom on another floppy
3) halt the system, insert the 5.x floppy, set auto_action to halt,
type "fwupdate", install 5.x SRM (just to make sure the floppy
4) after choosing "restart" in fwupdate, insert the 4.9 floppy,
type "fwupdate" again, install 4.9 SRM, choose "restart" again
5) the SRM complains about the ISA table and reinitializes it
6) switch machine off, then on, no complaints any more
7) insert 5.x floppy, re-install with "fwupdate"
8) re-set all your variables
Of course most of the steps aren't strictly necessary, but I was a
bit nervous about ending up with an unbootable system.
I put the SRM image on my web site: