Subject: Re: OT: a dumb alpha question
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/16/2001 21:51:53
On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 07:50:47PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   According to a friend who is fairly tight with several Apple internal
> folk, a few people on the MacOS-X development team were looking at the
> NetBSD kernel while integrating the userland stuff, and then chose the
> FreeBSD kernel because they were big FreeBSD fans...instead of
> choosing the NetBSD kernel, which was the obvious choice, being the
> one that was designed to be portable in the first place.

Wow. Lose.

Gee, wouldn't it have been nice if they'd had to make a business
case to upper management about their decision.

"Yes, we could have brought X to market x months quicker, but we
LIKE FreeBSD and think our likes are more important than the
architecture of our product or our time to market."
Kevin P. Neal
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600