Subject: Re: OT: a dumb alpha question
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/15/2001 19:50:47
On December 15, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >Yes, it is a stechild with many parents...but the "generalized"
> >answer given is usually FreeBSD...
>
> Yes.  I believe this is pure politics, and that the most honest answer would
> be either NetBSD or Mach.

  According to a friend who is fairly tight with several Apple internal
folk, a few people on the MacOS-X development team were looking at the
NetBSD kernel while integrating the userland stuff, and then chose the
FreeBSD kernel because they were big FreeBSD fans...instead of
choosing the NetBSD kernel, which was the obvious choice, being the
one that was designed to be portable in the first place.

  It's certainly not the first time a product was chosen for other than
its suitability or technical merits in our industry.  I drink scotch
and ignore it whenever possible.  Or I ignore it and drink scotch
whenever possible.  Or something.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire