Subject: Re: OT: a dumb alpha question
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/2001 21:19:59
>> I want lightweight - visually lightweight.  (I want computationally
>> lightweight, too, but that's a completely separate issue, and not as
>> important as having a UI I like.)
> And your recommendations are?

I couldn't find one that did what I wanted, so I wrote my own.  Very
minimalist, and probably not suitable for most people (I have no
problem with "the configuration language for this program is C", but a
lot of people seem to[%]), but anyone who wants a copy is certainly
welcome to one - just drop me a note asking....

[%] Not that there's necessarily anything _wrong_ with that.  In
    particular, if you don't already know C, it's probably overkill to
    learn it just to reconfigure something to act the way you want.

In particular:

- It does not decorate windows, at all.

- It's primarily designed to shift keyboard focus with the keyboard,
  though you can use the pointer if you want.

- "Menus belong in restaurants"; everything is done with magic
  keystrokes and pointer clicks.

It also has a few known bugs and misfeathers, remaining largely because
they haven't bothered me enough yet.  (The keystrokes and clicks used
for WM functions are not available to clients, and it tends to crash if
you do certain things involving windows exactly as high or wide as the
root.  It also lacks understanding of a few of the more recondite ICCCM
conventions.)

Not that this has much to do with Alphas any longer, I suppose....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign