Subject: Re: OT: a dumb alpha question
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2001 17:23:35
On December 13, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >   This is a great big bummer.  I hadn't even looked...I'd never have
> > thought that DEC (or what's left of them) would solder such a chip.
> >
> >   Oh well.
> >
> >   Say, anyone have any luck getting KDE2 built under 1.5.2?  It seems
> > to be about the least portable piece of software around...now I'm
>
> You can always find worse. Try to compile gnome :)

  Yeah...after about ten hours of fixing Gnome portability issues
under IRIX, I gave up and deleted the source trees in total
frustration.

  It makes me wonder if these folks actually *try* to write
nonportable code.  I mean, it's C++ which apparently exists so that
people *can* write nonportable code, but what's the motivation?

  All I want is a decent desktop environment.  I like KDE a *lot*.
I'd even give up my beloved SGI R10K box and switch to a different
desktop platform (but not a PeeCee, thank you) like an Alpha running
NetBSD (which I'm currently building to examine the feasibility of the
idea) to get something other than a run-of-the-mill window manager.

  Any suggestions?

    Totally frustrated but trying to remain in good spririts,
       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
St. Petersburg, FL