Subject: Re: Setting colour depth on DEC3000
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2001 01:04:30
Matthew van de Werken <mvdw73@dingoblue.net.au> asked;

> Also, while I'm at it, can I get X to dual-head?

I'm afraid the answer is, for now, no.

> I have two framebuffers in
> this machine, but only one gets activated on boot (dmesg says something
> like "unknown device PMAG-JA at tc0 slot 4 not configured"). I assume
> that's the 8-bit device, otherwise I'll have to do something
> hardware-related to enable 24-bit colour!

PMAG-JA is two-framebuffer-in-a-single slot.  It can provide 8 bit pseudo
colour screen and 24 bit true/direct (=no LUT) colour screen simultaneously.
They can be composited in an arbitrary shape with 1 bit "transparency"
bitmap.  The original intent was motion video application with audio capability.
PMAG-JA has no hardware 'accelleration' feature inside.  It is useful when you
build a new TCWSCONS kernel adding "tfb" configuration lines appropriately.

> There is also a KZTSA-AA FWD SCSI adapter there; I'm wondering if
> that's supported?

No.  It's an i960 driven SCSI board.  There were variations of PCI and
VAX XMI other than TURBOchannel.

Toru Nishimura