Subject: Re: Miata 500a and NetBSD
To: RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/12/2001 14:25:55
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:07:26AM -0700, RJ45 wrote:

> I am a long time user NetBSD/vax but I am newbie to NetBSD/alpha,
Welcome to the DEC 64 bit line.
I also own a lot of VAXen and I promise you: This machine is faster
then hell and haven together. ;-)

> I have a DPW 500a.
[...]
> Anyone kindly might give me an experience of NetBSD on Miata if it works
> ok, if there are some major problems or big bugs??
I have a 500au and NetBSD worked very well on it. (It is now running
Tru64.) There was only a problem with the network interface. Use
the tlp(4) driver, not de(4) and it will work.

> I read of the problem of 64bit PCI slots, but if I use a PCI 32 bit card
> inside the PCI 64 slot it should work anyway?
I know only what is written in the FAQ. At least you schould not have
any problems when you use only the 32 bit slots.

> There are any problems using IDE disks ? (My miata has a 1 scsi and 1 IDE
> disk)
Should work. I had a 4 X Toshiba IDE CDROM in my 500au and no problems.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen