Subject: Re: current state of TGA?
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/02/2001 12:31:51
>On 712506347 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
>"Michael G. Schabert" wrote:
>>

>>I recently brought my AS200 back home, as it's been running as a
>>headless server for quite awhile. I was wondering if there was
>>anything newer on the TGA front than the year-old mention in the FAQ.
>>Dmesg gives me:
>>
>>alpha# dmesg | grep tga
>>tga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: DC21030 step C, board type T32-08
>>tga0: 1280 x 1024, 32bpp, Bt463 RAMDAC
>>tga0: interrupting at isa irq 10
>>wsdisplay0 at tga0: console (std, vt100 emulation)
>>

>  >so I'm assuming that the card is the ZLXp-E2, judging by Roland's
>>post about a week ago. Is this supported as a graphics (read X) card,
>>or is it still only good for a text console?
>
>If it works as a console, it should work for X, too.  Just give it
>a try, and report any errors that you get back here.  (I think that
>the X support was added at almost exactly the same time as the
>console support.)

Cool :-)

I'm using a Radius IntelliColor/20 monitor. When booting, SRM
displays at the 1280*1024, taking up the full screen. Then when
NetBSD is starting, it switches to what I'm assuming is what Kevin
described as a "graphical text display", where NetBSD is only taking
up a small "window" in the center of the screen, prolly 80*35. I'm
using the snapshot from July, and have downloaded & unpacked all the
x sets as well.
alpha# setenv DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0.0
alpha# startx

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
alpha#cd /usr/X11R6/bin
alpha# X
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
alpha# ls *.core
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  18613120 Nov  2 12:04 XalphaNetBSD.core
alpha# gdb XalphaNetBSD XalphaNetBSD.core
GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "alpha--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `XalphaNetBSD'.
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.0...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libm.so.0...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.12...done.
#0  0x12000dc48 in dladdr ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x12000dc48 in dladdr ()
(gdb)

I don't know if the TGA's being in 32 bpp mode is the problem. The
manual's table showing the switch settings only shows resolution,
frequency & refresh rate, as well as what DEC monitors those settings
are valid for.

In reading startx's man, ne example it gives is "startx -- -bpp 16"
to set the bit depth...however, when trying to set it, I got an error
that -bpp was an unrecognized option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Mike