Subject: Re: Working wide->narrow SCSI adapters?
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/01/2001 23:46:40
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Paul Mather wrote:

> I have a DEC 3000/500S, which uses 50-pin narrow internal cabling, and a
> 68-pin wide drive I want to use in it.  Does anyone know where I can buy
> a *WORKING* adapter (preferably low-profile) that will let me connect
> the wide drive to the internal 50-pin SCSI bus?  I stress "working"
> because I mail-ordered one before, and it wouldn't work.  I'm guessing
> it was wired up incorrectly, as mentioned in the SCSI FAQ.

I could check with the company i've bought my adapters from. Since i'm
located in Sweden i could at least try to find out which brand they are.
I've used a couple without problem in both my DEC 3000/300 and several of
my VAX'en. I'm actually sitting here with one in front of me, but
unfortunately there is no markings on it whatsoever, to indicate it's
manufacturer.

Did you jumper your drive correctly? I had to add two jumpers to switch
my drive from LVD to single ended mode, and from wide to narrow SCSI.
The auto mode switching of the disk didn't work. There is also another
caveat. At least with the adapters i've got, they have to be at the end of
the SCSI cable. They were all selfterminating, so adding a disk after them
on the chain with a termination on it would cause problems.

--
cheers,

/Anders

I realize that command does have its fascination, even under
circumstances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command
nor am I frightened of it.  It simply exists, and I will do whatever
logically needs to be done.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2812.7

* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN