Subject: Re: z8530 driver bugs
To: None <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/20/2001 12:21:51
On 17 Oct, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> You're using TCWSCONS kernel specifically tailoured for DEC3000.
Yes.

> The serial driver which makes possible to use video console and
> Xwindows is _guaranteed not working well_ for modem use.
My hope was that it could be _made_ (by me) to work well with modems.

> First; Digital engineers never
> intended to design the DB25 serial port speeder than 9600bps.  Second;
> this is the software implementation "shortage" of NetBSD.  Since
> zsioasic driver can not cope with fancy wiring paractice found in DEC3000,
> so called "hardware flow control" does not work with it. [...]
This means at least due to bad hardware design the serial port will
never be really usable for conecting a modem?
That's bad. I hoped to use a "real" workstation in that place but now
I am stuck with the AS200. (OK. That is also an Alpha and X11 is running
well on the TGA2, but it is that much PeeCee-ish. ;-)  )

> The page mentions the original "scc" driver.  It lacks WSCONS feature and
> is superceded by "zsioasic" driver.   Neither is as mature as DU/Tru64
> in capability.
I tried to install Tru64 5.1 on the DEC3000/600. But it crashed.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz